Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vince sculpture

I mentioned before that making props for my wife’s show a while back left me with a yen to do some sculpting. So this week I made this guy. I’m calling him Vince. There’s no good reason for the name...  he’s not based on anyone... just didn’t want him to get posted nameless. That would just be sad.

Vince is just head, made of DAS and mounted on a screw attached to piece scrap board. He’s 4.5" tall, 3.5" wide and 3.5” deep.

The Das clay is not bad but it tends to be a bit crumbly and when trying to build up shapes with small pieces, I found it didn’t adhere very well without a fair bit of encouragement. I’m going to use up the remaining DAS but I’m going to order some other air-drying clays to see what might work best. If anyone has any recommendations, I’m all ears!

And here are a few bonus pics of Vince:

Apparently this is my 300th post so here’s some bonus info.

Vince’s “backdrop” is actually a rag. This particular rag is from the t-shirt I bought at Massey Hall in Toronto immediately after Brian Wilson’s “Smile” concert in 2004. I wore it frequently and it became thin and covered in holes. I cut it up for rags, but every time I pull a piece out of the rag bag I feel a slight sense of loss. Dumb, eh? I’ll have to see if I can find another one out there on the hinterweb.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...