Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Favourite Scissors

Is it wrong to have a favourite pair of scissors?

We must own at least ten pairs. They are scattered  throughout the house, hidden deeply in junk drawers and boxes, never to be found when they are most needed.

My former favourite pair of scissors were a pair of surgical scissors. They were hung in the same spot all the time in my workshop in the basement. When we moved house, they disappeared. None of the other scissors in the house were a suitable replacement.

Fast forward to last summer’s garage sale. A friend of ours brought a few boxes of items. Among the items was the pair of scissors you see above. Solid metal with large handles which were painted red and well worn. They were sharp and functioned perfectly. Came from a good home, I like to think; from someone who cared for their tools.

As soon as I saw them I snatched them up, nearly giddy. I think she gave them to me.

So now my new favourite scissors hang in my workshop. You can see them in the background of the photo, hanging on the pegboard.

I can’t believe I have that much to say about scissors. Maybe my subconscious was churning up memories while I was painting.

Regarding the painting, I needed a short-term painting to work on. I’m still working on a big landscape but it’s weeks from completion. I needed a quick fix. This was a fun piece to do. I slathered on a generous amount of paint so it has some nice texture. I still see a few spots I’d like to touch-up, but it’s essentially done at this point.

Favourite Scissors
6" x 12"
Oil on panel

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...