Tuesday, April 26, 2011

King of the hill

So here's the latest. I struggled to find a composition I liked.... even had one completely roughed in that I hated so I wiped it clean and started again.

I've started using mediums. No, not the I-see-dead-people kind of mediums... the oily kind. For the paint. Trying the fat over lean train of thought. Not sure if it's working for me or not but I'm making an effort to at least try all the possibilities I read about. Since I normally work on small pieces that are finished in less than 24 hours (ie before anything dries), it's probably not necessary. Seems more relevant to larger, long term paintings.

Like the wallpaper? I imagineered that myself.

The photo is not a great depiction but the phone started ringing and frankly, I'm too tired. If this ends up in the shop, I'll reshoot.

18/50

King of the hill
14" x 11"
Oil on canvas

2 comments:

Darla McDowell said...

Nice colors, John. It is a really pleasing combination, and your "wallpaper" works!

I've been using Carol Marine's recipe for medium, and it is wonderful. She has it listed on her Blue Cloud website, but it is 2 parts linseed oil, 1 part stand oil and 1 part Gamsol mineral spirits. It definitely speeds up the drying time, and it leaves a nice gloss to the finished painting. As you're experimenting with new mediums, I thought you might like to try this one, too.

John Andrews said...

Thanks Darla!
I'll give that formula a try.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...