The annual Arts and Letters Competition for Newfoundland and Labrador is quickly approaching and I found out today that my entry (Imagine) will not be shown this year. :( I was disappointed as it's one of my favorite pieces. Not to mention the most labour-intensive linocut I've ever produced.
The judge(s) provided me with more detailed notes than I normally get so that was nice. They clearly put some thought into it and made some valid points:
- "Depiction of flowers is good and expressive. A nice contrast with the blockiness of the mosaic."
- "A bit symmetrical, makes the image static, not enough energy"
- "Image needs a greater sense of diversity, a sense of chance"
- "The image is confined and stifled by grey border"
- "Good strong shapes around edge"
- "Good energy pushing from the center outward, but that could be taken further."
There's always next year. In the meantime, it's available in my shop.
Image size: 11.5" x 8.5"
Paper size: 14.25" x 11.5"
Linocut; White ink on black paper